Fun fact about me: I have a tendency to start random hobbies. For example: one time, I decided I wanted to learn how to make balloon animals. I bought a beginner's kit that came with balloons, a pump, and a book on how to make animals. I practiced making a dog, along with a few other animals. I sat there for hours trying to perfect them. Was I training to become some sort of clown on the weekends?! Who knows... Anyway, I was never too good at making balloon animals despite my best efforts. After a few days of trying, the novelty wore off and the kit got pushed into a drawer with all my other forgotten hobbies. Balloon animals were apparently something I was meant to admire, but not create. So, when I saw Kate Spade's new Whimsies collection, I was hooked! They're an absolutely perfect way to display your secret love of balloons, unicorns, and dinosaurs. I think my favorites are the ring, brooch, and bangle. If you can afford to purchase something from the new Kate Spade collection, DO. IT. For the rest of us, here is my humble attempt at the phrase "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".
You will need:
1. Paint your letters with the metallic paint. I lined up my colors and found the best pattern before painting. I didn't want too many similar colors next to each other. Be sure to paint the front and all the sides.
2. Cut a piece of wire for the bracelet. There are 2 methods for figuring how long to cut your wire.
Method 1: Using your string, measure loosely around your wrist, adding a few extra cm's to roll your wire.
Method 2: Grab a bracelet that fits well and measure that against your string for a similar fit.
3. Once you've cut your string, line it up against your wire and cut at the mark using your wire cutters. Make the cut as straight as possible.
4. Using the narrow tip of your rounded pliers, roll over the cut ends of your wire so that you don't have any sharp edges.
5. To create a bracelet shape, use something cylindrical to gently wrap the wire around. I used a party cup, since it's tapered and allows you to adjust the width of your bracelet easily.
6. Once I had a round shape, I made it slightly oval so that it would slip on and off my wrist more easily. My wire was very malleable, so I didn't want it losing its shape too much!
7. Using your glue gun or E6000, glue the letters onto the bracelet. I started near the center with the letter R, then added the others closely so they would fit together well.
Woop! There it is. Now you have your own KS Whimsies collection lookalike bracelet. This one is definitely more fragile, so wear with care. But, as a plus, you can write whatever you want on the bracelet- your name, an inspiring word, a reminder to party more, etc. My suggestions: CAKE, because yum, LOVE, because the word needs more of it, and GLITTER, because sparkles make everything better!
These would be so fun to make all your friends to give out as friendship bracelets, or as part of a bachelorette party gift! What are you planning to put on your bracelet? Let me know in the comments!