I'm a little bit afraid of color. I know that seems surprising, considering my blog and crafts are pretty darn colorful, but it's true. My closet is pretty monotone, my artwork is dull, and even when I wanted the bright blue iPod, I went for the gray one. I tend to play it safe when it comes to color, because what if I get tired of the bright one? I always picked the neutral option. The safe one. It's for this exact reason that my house is now gray. My dad jokingly nicknamed my house 50 shades of grey. Everyone warned me, but I didn't listen. "Don't you guys get it? It's neutral! This means I can add in any color I want and switch up the decor, without having to repaint!" Um... no, it means your house is gray, Cathy, and it looks like a black and white movie.
To remedy the fact that my house is now the first ten minutes of The Wizard of Oz, I've decided to inject color into it any way I can. I suspect this will lead my house to be a mish mosh of color soon, but trial and error is my friend, right? I've rounded up some colorful but whimsical home finds that are sure to brighten up even the most monochromatic home.
1. Yellow Brick Road Doormat- Let's start with a doormat that will remind us to keep it colorful. This doormat is bright, but subtle. It'll always remind you there's no place like home, to follow your dreams, and that everything you need to succeed can be found within you. Plus I guess it's a reminder to travel more? Haha.
2. Cat Candle- I love cats. I have 3 of them, which I used to think was weird, but now I get why people do it. What's the perfect way to show off your love of cats? How about this candle?! It's pretty darn amazing, but what's even better is what happens when you light it! Click the link to check it out.
3. Vases- this little vase collection would make such a cute table accent. I can see it with some small blooms, making everyday feel like spring. Plus, the mixed pinks and corals make it perfect for both the spring and fall!
4. Pink Vase- this vase is pretty, inexpensive, and a gorgeous color. Imagine it with some yellow flowers in the middle of a gray room?! So fresh and pretty.
5. Utensils- I have these utensils and they're fabulous! My fiancé actually purchased them for me. We needed new ones and he said "I figured you'd like these". Why yes, yes I do. He's a man of few words, but I'm so lucky to have him. He gets me.
6. Balloon Animal- I guess we've established that I have an obsession with balloon animals, so clearly this is an obvious choice. It's whimsical, colorful, and adds a little party to the everyday. Win-win-win.
7. Dog Bookends- Don't worry dog lovers- I have something for you too! These bookends will add a little extra color to a bland bookshelf. They'll take something serious like books and make it playful. Fun fact: I used to have 2 imaginary weiner dogs. I named them Princess and Pretzel.
8. Aromatherapy Diffuser- This little guy is perfect for adding a little bit of color to your home, but still keeping it simple. The wood is very neutral, and you can add essential oils to make your room calming! I think I need this in my life.
9. Rainbow Bowls- If you set your table and keep it that way as part of your decor, these would make it so cute and colorful! But if you've got 3 cats that love to lay across the table like mine do, these would look great on a shelf or in a glass cabinet. You can also spread them around the room with some candy inside. Since they're made of bamboo, they'll be less fragile than glass.
10. Rainbow Jenga- Perfect for cheering up game night, this rainbow Jenga is so colorful, it can practically be decor! Plus, having it on display means you're WAY more likely to play it.
11. Umbrella Hooks- These are super silly, but for some reason I love umbrellas. Something about their shape I guess. Lucky for us, you don't have to worry about these umbrellas flipping upside down in a wind storm and getting yourself soaked. Not sure why opening umbrellas indoors is bad luck, but having them flip and fold outside in a rainstorm is not!
12. Orange Speaker- Both cute and practical, this speaker adds some charm without being too trendy. It reminds me of a tropical island, which is always a plus in my book. Turn it on, play some ocean sounds or tropical music, and drift away.
13. Bread Box- Having a bread box is pretty 1950's, HOWEVER, this one is aqua blue and perfect in every way. And, since bread doesn't really come in nice packaging and it'll stay fresher in the box than the bag, I think this is quite necessary for any kitchen.
14. Yellow Cake Stand- I loveee cake stands. I have so many, but they're a great way to add a little something special to any room. Place this on your kitchen counter with cookies, on your dresser with some jewelry, or in your bathroom with some pretty soaps for a pop of color while staying classy.
15. Pantone Notebook- I know what you're thinking... a notebook isn't decor. And you're right. But it would look really cute on a coffee table, and if you ever need a reminder to keep it colorful, this notebook should do the trick! Embrace color, unleash your inner kid, and above all, have some fun! Use this notebook to jot down some decor ideas and get your colorful juices flowing.
Ok guys, now I need your help! What's your favorite way to add some color to a boring room?! Let me know in the comments below.